Friday, July 17, 2009

Finding Home in Christ

Living far from family and friends hasn’t exactly been what we expected it to be. I think we both envisioned our time in Florida to be full of adventure, new experiences, and opportunities to travel a different part of the country. While we’ve had our share of adventures, new experiences, and some opportunity to travel, they haven’t been exactly what we expected.

Needless to say, both Jesse and I have been homesick these past two years, and sometimes feel overwhelmed with the loneliness being apart from family brings.
Just yesterday I was looking at photos from Jesse’s parents’ trip to San Diego. As I perused through them, it wasn’t long before tears started rolling down my cheeks. I wanted to transport myself into the pictures to share in the good times they were having together. TOGETHER. That’s what we miss.
Since waking up this morning, this idea of homesickness has been heavy on my heart and mind. Just as I sat down to my desk to begin work, it donned on me that I’m rarely homesick to be TOGETHER with Christ, and He’s right here! I don’t have to pick up the phone to call him or write an email to share a story. I can speak to him right here, right now. Why is it so difficult to pray when we’re lonely or to open the Bible to listen to Him? Why is it that we search in countless impossible locations for the one thing that is sitting right in front of us? Jesse and I will always miss our family and friends when apart from them, but I wonder: would we be less homesick if we found our home in Christ?

1 comment:

j.nelson said...

probably the best thing i could have read to start my morning. love it.