Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Becoming the It Girl

The past few weeks at work have been extraordinarily busy. As the end of the fiscal year approaches, contracts are awarded and people are running through halls with their heads burried in folders utilizing every inch of time. My experience isn't much different. It's a miracle if I get a restroom break, and the phone always rings when I sit down for lunch. I'm even considering changing my name to Mrs. Andrew Gomer. When my boss leaves on business trips, it's my responsibility to keep business running. Not just running...but running smoothly. He's now been gone for two weeks, and I may just have to stick my head in a paper bag to prevent hyperventilating. No matter the issue, I must take care of it. I communicate with other CEOs, Colonels of every military branch, and even girlfriends. Professional or personal--I'm the It Girl. My boss brags to his colleagues and friends that they "need a Heather." I told him, "I even need a Heather!" No, I don't have the most difficult position, but it's difficult enough. I decided today that multi-tasking isn't just doing several tasks at once, but rather it's doing everything for everyone with a smile on my face. The smile is the most difficult part. At the end of the day, as I forward my desk phone to my cell in case of emergencies and close the Agenda Book, I just hope I did everything to the best of my ability. When attending college, I never imagined I'd be an executive assistant, but I can see how I've slowly been prepared for this position. Each day offers a new challenge, and each day God provides the strength to tackle it. So, as my first six months in this position come to a close, I can honestly say I'm thankful for this job. This position is my mountain, and I'm climbing it. I may stumble a bit or even bruise my knee on the rocks, but I'm climbing.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I sure hope you are compensated well! If not, the next time your boss is in town, Jason can have a chat with him. haha :-)