Saturday, July 31, 2010

Back to the Basics

Photography has been a hobby and at times a passion of mine ever since I was in my early teens. At one time I dreamed of being a photojournalist and working for National Geographic...Hmmm...perhaps I'll have to pick up that dream again. Anyways, Jesse's birthday gift to me has made me feel completely silly. I had no idea it would be so overwhelming to learn the ins and outs of this new camera. I know how to set the aperture and shutter speed to ensure adequate lighting and noise, but on this baby, you've got a whole slew of options to make your creation optimal. After reading the manual and feeling completely lost, I decided I'd tackle a couple lessons each night. After some hands-on practice, hopefully I'll get somewhere with this thing. Here's some shots of me playing with the settings to get a feel for what I can do. To start off, this is me setting on a new adventure. And no, I'm purposefully not looking into the camera. Don't worry, I haven't gotten two lazy eyes or anything!

Playing with the focus settings on a macro...surprisingly much more difficult on a digital SLR than a manual.
My favorite thing about Jesse has always been his green eyes and his smile. The evening sun captured those eyes perfectly. Ohh, he's too handsome for words!
Couldn't forget to practice on some wildlife! Bentley wasn't loving me sticking a camera in her face, but hey, she's spoiled enough...she can learn to deal with us too!
Outside lighting...still practicing on the aperture and shutter speeds....
This camera is definitely a fun toy! I would be outside point-and-shooting at everything if I could!

3 comments:

Megan said...

You should check out www.thepioneerwoman.com. It's a blog, but she has a great section on photography with posts of tips for professional camera owners like you. Her own photograhpy development over the last few years has been amazing and her pictures today are stunning! Plus, her blog is tons of fun to read!
:-) There is a link to her site on our blog too.

Sueso said...

Hey silly Heather! Lovin that you're getting into photography again and WHO KNOWS...you know where the headquarters of National Geographic is, right? Yep, right there in Wash. DC! lolol I even know (through the internet) some peops that HAVE worked for them before...they are a rough bunch tho...ha You know, out in the wilds and bush of Botswana, and S. Africa, etc. Have lots of fun! Auntie Sueso sfha

Heather Westbrooks said...

Thanks Megan! I'm checking out her website now. :)