Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love

“This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” - 1 John 4:10


Jesse and I have recently committed ourselves and our time to the Sr. High youth group at church.  After closely working with the Middle School youth in Daytona Beach, our hearts have longed to work in the lives of teenagers once again.  God opened the door so widely to this opportunity, it was unmistakable what He wanted us to do.  I really have to say that I love when God makes our paths so clear and our purpose so evident.  We now both co-lead a small group, him with freshman guys, and me with freshman girls.  He'll have to pop on here to describe his group as I know nothing when it comes to guys' conversations behind closed doors! 

As for my large group (14 girls when the average group is 5), I am deeply saddened by what I see.  These very young women are sexually active, they grasp at any form of attention they can receive, and only two of these girls have accepted Christ.  I feel blessed now more than ever to know that I grew up in a Christian home and was aware of a Savior during my trying teenage years.  These girls know nothing, nor do they want to know.  Moving forward, I'm prayerful that God will use Tina, my partner, and me to shine a light in these girls' lives and show them the promise of Christ.  To show them they don't need to act as the media has told them, and that they can find safety in the pierced palm of Jesus.  They are all sweet girls, daughters of our Heavenly Father, and I pray I can love them as He would love them.

No comments: