Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Light the Candle and Wait

The end of the world is near...and no, I'm not talking about December 21st.  Though it did cross my mind that some folks may have intentionally avoided that day for their holiday travel.  What day did I book my boss' flight? You betcha!  He chuckled when I asked him if he was concerned about flying on the last day of our existence, and he said he'd rather be up in the air if the earth starts exploding.  My, my how our views of the end of the world are different. Here I'm afraid the pilot might suddenly disappear, and he's worried about aliens.

The headlines and newsreels these past couple weeks are a reminder that this world is aching for something more.  It wasn't a gun who ransacked the mall in Oregon or the terrified children in their classrooms.  It was two men, consumed by their sinful nature and self doubt and yearning for something more that caused horrific pain in so many lives.  Our country remains stunned and sickened in the safety of our homes as we continue to watch memoirs and tributes for the brave souls who stood up to cruelty.  I don't want to over-discuss this topic, as I realize it physically hurts to think about what happened on those awful days, but I can't help but see how we continue to move in the direction of an utter need for Christ's return.

The Bible makes it clear we won't know the day or the hour of His return, and "He'll come like a thief in the night." December 21st won't be the day, but my how I pray the day is soon.  Our need for grace grows each day, and our need for His holiness if even greater.  Sin is multiplying at a rapid rate, but continues to look so enticing to all of us.  Temptation is around every corner, disasters are happening every day around the world, and all we can do--Children of God--is to live each minute of every hour of all days like it's our last.

If I'm still alive to see Christ's return, it is my prayer that I will have been able to resist temptation and defy sin in the face at the very moment.  I hope the thief returns to find me searching His face rather than looking away.  There's a tradition here in the South to light a candle in your window to symbolize your love and devotion to the family members who are away from home.  It's not only beautiful to drive by and see an old Colonial home lit up with small flickers, but it's a good reminder of what our country is founded on.

There is a candle lit in the window of my heart; waiting for His return.

No comments: