Monday, October 18, 2010

Imaginary Friends

Our refrigerator door is currently home to a bright yellow piece of construction paper. Scribbles in every color scatter the page, and if you didn't know what it was, you might wonder why we are displaying such an odd piece of "art." Some friends of ours have a three year-old daughter who has an expansive imagination and a bright little mind. She has a great sense of humor, she understands how to speak the English language better than most fifth graders, and yet she's still this tiny little girl revelling in her three year-oldness. After she finished her scribbles on the yellow paper, her mom asked her to share about what she'd drawn. Bella began explaining that each color was a friend of hers, and she proceeded to name each scribble with a proud smile on her face. It wasn't until last week that I learned that her best friend, Tricka--the brightest and biggest scribble on the page--is in fact an imaginary friend that visits every Thursday. Tricka comes over and plays at Bella's house once a week, and they are best of friends.
Despite this being one of the cutest things I've heard, and amazing that she's so particular that the imaginary friend only visits on Thursdays, I started thinking about how I kind of have an imaginary friend myself. You can't see Him, you can't touch Him, and it can be very difficult to hear Him. But the best part, is He's not imaginary at all. He doesn't visit once a week, but instead He is there all the time, when I feel I need Him, and when He knows I need Him. He never leaves my side.
So the yellow paper is on my refrigerator door, not just as art, but as a reminder of my own "Imaginary" Friend.

No comments: