Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Living a Purpose

Oftentimes we strive to be bigger and better.  We desire nice things, and we're told we must be successful to obtain them.  I can't help but smile when friends and coworkers share with me their New Years resolutions.  In the past few days I've heard everything from the most common: lose weight and save money to some very unique goals: swim with sharks and feed the homeless.  Regardless of what the resolution is, there's one commonality between all of them--to become a better person--to find satisfaction in a good decision.
This morning was a Starbucks morning--meaning rather than heading straight to work, my car continued on toward the famous green circle.  It didn't take me long to realize they'd increased their prices since the last time I had visited.  Sure enough, my Grande Decaf Mocha, Extra Hot was going to cost about fifty cents more.  Despite my disappointment, I placed my order and got in line to pick it up at the other end of the counter.  Much to my surprise the Barista handed me a Venti cup and said, "Thank you for coming to our store.  You're one of my regulars."  Now, perhaps an increased size in coffee isn't the most miraculous thing that will happen today, but it will most-likely be the most miraculous thing that happens to me today.  I'm not sure if this man woke up this morning and repeated his New Years resolution in his head to be kinder to customers, or if God whispered in his ear that this girl needed a special treat.  Regardless, he was bigger and better today, and success happened to have nothing to do with it.
Five days into the New Year and I'm beginning to see how I can make not just a New Years resolution, but rather a life resolution.  Rather than thinking about being a better person and what I'd like to do for others, I need to BE  a better person and DO those things for others.  The radio host on our local Christian station said yesterday that it donned on her that the last year passed by without a specific purpose or meaning.  She decided she was going to thrive and not just live. 
God didn't create me to just live.  He created me unique and quirky to fulfill His mission.  It may be silly that a free Venti coffee could make me realize it, but hey...perhaps that's why God told the Barista to do it.   

1 comment:

Sueso said...

Aww...Heather, I just found this and it's a wonderful view of life and what it can be! Keep writing!!! Did you hear that someone paid for my whole group of friend's meals at Great Wall in Gearhart New Year's Day? It was awesome! All six of us just were flabbergasted! Love you! Auntie Sue SFHA