Wednesday, January 19, 2011

World of Paperwork

Some corporate offices have opted to operate paper-free.  No pens, no paper, no paraphernalia.  Nothing but a screen, a keyboard, and a mouse.  These corporations amaze me.  One, I can't even answer the phone without jotting down the name of the person on the line.  Two, I work for a man who doesn't believe in anything BUT paper.  Paper calendars, paper memos, and paper phone messages.  When he returns from a business trip, it's common for him to make my office his first pit stop.  He plops his briefcase on the guest chair and proceeds to plunk folded boarding passes, wrinkled receipts, random business cards, and the like on my already pile-ridden desk top.  Before long, the mountain on my desk is so large I can't look over it even if I tried.  You may wonder how I manage to operate in such an disorderly fashion--especially for those who know me well.  I'll be honest--at first, I didn't manage it at all.  My eyes hazed over, and my heart beat could be seen through the blue vein in my forehead.  This non-technology way of operating was new to me 10 months ago, but now, it's become second nature.  My boss is gone today, yet my desk looks like this...
 I'm the culprit for making it look this way now.  I've found two solutions to operating in a world of paperwork.  One:  LISTS.  No big surprise that I, Heather, formerly Nelson, Field would resort to utilizing lists.  At NASCAR my lists were electronically built through Outlook, but not any more....they're...yep you guessed it...paper post-its.  (Sorry Trees)  Two:  Well, just look...
Girl Scout cookies.  My boss has a habit of buying them in bulk from every cute little girl who knocks on his door.  The girls have caught on and have become quite smart, leaving at least five XL shipping boxes full of cookies to be "taken care of."  I am his assistant after all...I have to take care of everything...including eating cookies from 2010 so the 2011 batch can come in.

No comments: