Friday, March 4, 2011

God's Persistent Love

Come Thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it.
Mount of Thy redeeming love.


As these words resonate in my mind and sweeten my tongue, I become aware of yet another way God blesses us.  This week has been "Gift Awareness Week."  First, I realized how the cerulean skies and budding trees are gentle gifts from God--His special way of brightening our day.  And now, He's brought to my attention yet another way He reminds me He's there.

Every day this week, I've woken up to a worship song mulling inside my foggy head.  This morning, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing played over and over like a broken record until I finally paid attention to the words that so easily came to mind.  "Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise!"  By the time I finally paid attention to the lyrics He'd placed there, I felt the urge to say, "DUH, Heather."  Why is it that I can so easily get caught up in my own daily tasks--eating breakfast, picking up my cluttered home, and visiting with Jesse--that I forget WHO created me, WHO loves me unconditionally, and WHO placed me here for a purpose? 

My gift today from God:  His persistence to remind me of His love by placing Scripture and hymns inside my head before I've even woken up.  Consider it a "poke."

No comments: