Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Villain

I sat down here with every intention to complain about DC life.  Forget about the free museums and the beautiful fall colors--I was raging.  But after completing my sob story of a three hour commute of a mere twelve miles, I realized that I'm completely foolish for dwelling on the mishap.

Do you ever read someone else's words or really listen to someone as they tell you how they've conquered a personal challenge?  You can hear this sense of heroism in their voice--they defeated their own villain in their fairytale.  My villain is my inability to turn the bad into good.  Take last night for instance--I was stuck in the car for three hours, but did I turn up the music and car dance to my heart's content? No.  Did I smile at the frustrated drivers crammed on the three lanes next to me? No.  Did I take the one hour that Jesse was in the car with me to focus on him and hear about his day? Shamefully, no.  Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." I always thought this verse was about God--He will turn bad into good.  "Of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Now there's some responsibility--a calling--if I've ever heard one.  Here I was, grumbling in my Little Red That Could on I395, missing every opportunity to make the three hours count. 

How foolish of me to waste three hours of my fairytale to let the villain win.  When I was wee, I hated having to play the robber in "Cops & Robbers."  I hated even more having to play the bad student in "School."  Pretending to be a villain isn't fun, so why should I allow it to beat me now?

My ranting about DC life has been deleted off the screen, and in its place is a hopefulness to beat my villain.  God takes all things and works them for good for those who love him.  I just have to allow Him to do so, and maybe next time I will do a funky car dance.

No comments: