Friday, July 22, 2011

Fascinating Turbulence

Drama (n): a situation or sequence of events that is highly emotional, tragic, or turbulent.

A splendid word to sum up this past week.  Jesse hit the nail on the head when he said, "I'm so glad I don't work in an office like yours."   I never would've imagined people could pick-pick-pick at such inconsequential matters.  The power-plays that arise in my office are certainly ridiculous, but what's more disturbing is how far they go.  Just yesterday, a director came storming into my office to complain about a decision one of her employees had made.  After her tirade (keep in mind this is a grown woman, standing at my door, stamping her foot and raising her hands in the air), I simply asked, "Have you spoken to her about it?"  Calmness isn't usually what anger wants to be fed, which is exactly why I did it. 

We get caught up in drama--whether it's because we're fascinated with the emotional rollercoasters we see on television, or just because we want to focus on other people's problems to mask our own, we can find ourselves so engrossed in drama that we miss our own life!  I'm guilty of getting caught up in the throws of such things as well, but I'm really beginning to realize that I miss so much when I am driven by highly emotional, tragic, and turbulent events.  Sure, I wish I had thought of the line, "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."  So beautifully dramatic! But I didn't, and yet I'm still happy.  We don't need drama to drive us, we need wisdom.

Proverbs 2:21-24
My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgement and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble.  When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

No comments: