Monday, February 13, 2012

Learning to Pray

In an effort to answer some hanging questions from our the young women in our small group, we are undergoing a month long "Christianity Crash Course."  I suppose that's not the best term for it, but essentially, we're giving them a rundown of what a relationship with Jesus is all about.  Last night, one of our youth pastors talked about prayer.  For someone who is new to the idea of prayer, it's an awkward and uncomfortable commitment to make.  Who wants to talk to air?

But Jess made it simple and completely opened my eyes to something I've never thought about...and we're supposed to be doing this for the students...

She took the Lord's Prayer from Matthew 6 and showed us a format for prayer.  Just like we use MLA or APA for formatting papers, we can use the Lord's Prayer (LP) format for talking to God.
Five categories:  Worship, Petition, Forgiveness, Guidance, and then added in, Thanksgiving.  I don't normally format my prayers, but after last night's lesson, I think perhaps it would be a good practice to model my talks after Jesus' prayer.  He gave it to us for a reason...
Funny how I walk away from a high school lesson with plenty to think about until the next week lesson. :)

No comments: