Friday, February 24, 2012

Let It Rain

What does it actually mean to be real? Does it simply mean to show one's true colors, or does it go deeper?  Living in a big city has taught me a few things, and yes those things do extend beyond a general dislike of traffic.  People do what they can to succeed.  This may apply to a job, a relationship, even a position in line at the grocery store.  If they can get ahead, they will--and they won't look back to see who've they've left lying flat on their face.  Something else that happens is that people lose their individuality.  They conform to what is expected--they become an entirely new being.

It took me almost the whole first semester of college before I realized our campus was hemmed with mountains. One morning, after a heavy rainstorm, the sky cleared itself of swirly smog revealing a beautiful snow-capped mountain.  I can remember stopping dead in my tracks to take in the site and being in awe of the fact that I'd never before seen this enormous picture before.  Thanks to the rain, LA showed me her true colors that morning. Exotic light shows and Starbucks on every street corner couldn't hide her original beauty.

Much like LA, our lives begin to be covered over with a smog of expectations.  We are told to be leaders, not followers.  We are told we haven't fully lived until we've tried things outside our comfort zones.  We are told we deserve happiness, and with happiness our dreams will come true.  Our lives are covered with smog.  What might show if we allow the rain to wash over us? So often we get caught playing the game of life rather than living it. We are told to be "what they want" in job interviews or laugh away hurtful comments. Is it really that important to cover up our real selves with a fake smile and nod?

I find myself wondering who I'd be if I set aside the expectations. What might happen if I didn't hide behind my smile? What would a coworker do if I said "not great" in response to a "How are you?" 

God created us hemmed with mountains...so why do we allow smog to cover it up?

No comments: