Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Raise Your Hand and Ask

Do you ever question God?  I think so often the modern church pushes its body to be perfect; to be blameless.  But Scripture makes it very clear that we are fallen creatures saved by God's grace alone.  Nothing we do or say will give us eternal life, and even after we've accepted Christ's forgiveness, we'll still stumble and fall.  So let me ask that again...do you ever question God?

The writers of Psalms had such an honest, raw relationship with their Heavenly Father.  They praised Him, they sought His guidance, they cried out to Him in trials, and they questioned Him amidst the darkness.  I guess what I'm trying to get at is questioning is not doubting.  If a child asks his father why he ties his shoes a particular way does that mean the boy doubts his father's form? I would argue that God wants us to question Him.  He wants us to seek truth, to seek beauty, to seek Him. 

I find myself questioning God on things both big and small.  I wonder why He took Jesse's dad home so early.  I ask why life looks so different from what I'd hoped it would.  I question His silence.  But through all the unknowns and discomforts, I know deep down that He will always answer.  Just like a father will tell his son why he ties his shoes one way, God will answer.  This world would be a lonely place if we could not communicate to the Maker.  Life would be pointless if we could not come to him honest and raw.

No comments: