Friday, January 25, 2013

Jesus With Skin On

After sitting in the hospital for two weeks, in the same chair, wearing the same jeans, eating the same food, and watching the same television shows, I've come to some conclusions.  1) Never take urinating or any other bodily functions for granted.  2) Pinterest does not have enough original DIY/Craft ideas when checked on an hourly basis.  3)  Nurses need to be served too.  And 4)...the biggest conclusion...My mom has an impact on everyone around her that would put all of us to shame.

I've always known Mom was special.  Sometimes her specialness drove me nuts--especially during those teenage years.  But as I've sat here in the same chair, wearing the same clothes, I can CLEARLY see she IS NOT THE SAME as everyone else.  Mom has a gift to reach those around her.  Nurses request her, NAs stop in to visit, and lab nurses stick around much longer than it takes to draw blood.  I can't count the many times I've heard things like, "I want to hang out in here all day," and "Hello family" and "I walk in here and feel love."  That's all Mom, sharing Jesus' love.

When they discharge her, Mom is going to be missed.  I know for a fact there are nurses in this wing who will be disappointed when Room 3060 vacates.  I know this because they hug her good bye every time their shifts end.  I won't lie--I'm looking forward to returning home and being free from this chair of mine, but the opportunity to watch Mom has been one I will never forget.

For some people, Billy Graham is the ideal example of living God's will.  But for me, it's my mom who shows me what it means to live as Jesus with skin on.

1 comment:

ryanjess said...

Heather. So wonderful that you have been able to be by your Mom's side throughout this very scary experience. Just as God shines thru your Mom, I want you to know He does the same in you. Your smile, your laugh...His love is easily found in you as well! You are a special woman my cousin. Much love.