Thursday, March 8, 2012

Just Add Cinnamon

It's no coincidence I've decided to prune my unhealthy eating habits around the time of Lent.  It wasn't until after college that I even knew what Lent was (I wonder why we don't learn this in the Evangelical church even if we don't participate).  Getting back to the point--while I am not including myself in the tradition of Lent, I am participating in the opportunity to cut back and refocus.

I'm a pastry girl. I'm pretty sure when God created me in my mother's womb, He specifically put the right ingredients together to make me love them.  Besides a whole grain piece of bread, floury-sugary treats are no longer in my diet.  To call myself a stress eater might be an overstatement, but I do certainly enjoy comfort food.  So, it's with this Lent season, that I find myself retraining my mind and body to find comfort in the Everlasting source rather than one that will increase my pants size.

It's difficult.  Like I said...there is a monster inside me who craves treats.  But I realize I should be craving something else.  In order to help myself stick to this decision, I've also decided to cut back on sugar.  And with that, means plain old oatmeal in the morning.  Yesterday, I found myself moving the oatmeal around with the spoon rather than putting it in my mouth.  It was dry, lumpy, and oh so not appetizing.  After a quick jaunt to the break room, my problem was solved.  A quick sprinkle of cinnamon, and wuallah!  The oatmeal didn't stand a chance.

Similar to my bowl of oatmeal, my life can often feel unappetizing.  It can look dreary, and sometimes I would much rather pass it along to someone else.  But when we refocus on Christ and His mercy, our life sparks.  The shades are pulled back, and He shows us the extent of His love.  God created this marvelous world for our enjoyment.  He put Himself in things so that as we enjoy seeing His creation, we think of Him.  Rather than focusing on the blunders we create or the hardships we face, He wants us to focus on His love.  He has put a little dash of cinnamon in our life.

No comments: