Friday, April 27, 2012

When Words Are Just Enough

As a lover of the written language, I have always been drawn to words.  Beautiful prose that bring emotion bubbling forth, capturing stories of pirates and stranded princesses, motivational biographies, and yes, even the simplest of sentences by the famous Dr. Seuss.  But perhaps my most favored form of words is those written in love. 
From the time I was tiny until now, I have saved almost every single card and letter ever given to me.  My box of memories contains mounds of reminders from those whom I cherish.  There are dozens of curled pages covered in scribbles from Zeke, Conner, and Josie Smith, my "favoritist" of children I babysat.  There are hundreds of love notes and printed emails from Jesse, and yes even from the boy I had a crush on in 3rd grade.  Whether it be a Christmas greeting or a birthday wish, the love enveloped in all of the simple words continue to bring forth encouragement and support. 
We live in an age when words have become cheap.  We thought email had "killed" the postman, but I'm pretty sure Twitter and Facebook have taken it a step further.  One of my goals this year, rolled over from the last, was to become better about sending cards and letters in the mail.  I have failed miserably, but I'm a believer that there's always room for improvement. I have much improvement to make...
Words are powerful.  They can open a heart with one sentence regardless of correct grammar and advanced vocabulary.  If you can't express it out loud, then by all means, write it down.  Words can often be just enough to turn some one's mediocre day into an extraordinary delight.  Raising a glass (actually it's a smoothie this morning) to loving others through words. Cheers!

No comments: