Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Own Little World

It should arrive today!
With plans to bike every weekend, we decided to make it easier by bringing Hutch along with us. This way we can be away for extended periods of time without watching the clock.  I informed Hutch a couple days ago that he too was getting a bike. :)
~
And now for my daily word dump--I apologize ahead of time to those who find my rambling quite boring. 

Monotony Mo-not-on-y (n.) wearisome uniformity or lack of variety.

Daily routines can be comforting, but they can also make the world seem like it’s on repeat. After all, I certainly can’t brush my teeth before I put my contacts in—the mirror might crack from the absurdity of it! Quite simply, routines can form ruts. I am a person who likes order, and I will admit that I thrive off routine. A whole month may pass before I realize I’ve done exactly the same thing each day, in order, and without falter from plan.

Yesterday at lunch, I vacuumed our apartment. Not necessarily because the floor needed it, but because it was one step outside my comfortable habitually ordered life that would throw things off kilter. Am I sounding totally insane yet?

There is a song called “My Own Little World,” by Matthew West. He sings about how his focus on his own life causes him to blind himself from everything going on around him. I focus on my life patterns and forget my life passions. I’m positive Jesus didn’t wake up to the same routine every day of his life, allowing the seasons to melt away like an ice cream cone on a hot day. (mmmm, ice cream sounds really good right now!)

I often blog about my struggle with To Do Lists, and perhaps monotony falls under that same category. Clearly I'm still struggling with it because here I am dumping it on ya' all over again.  Yesterday's abnormal vacuum schedule sparked something anew in me.  What would life be like if I stepped outside my own little world to meet people where they are at?  Cleaning my home has nothing to do with people, I understand that, but I needed to do something to jolt me back to reality--something to push me back into this chaotic world we live in to leave behind my safety net of monotony.  Before I left work yesterday, I pulled a friend into my office and asked how she was doing.  Knowing she's struggling with some marital issues, I knew her heart was hurting, and just maybe she needed someone to reach out to her.  I'm jolted--hello chaos, hello people, hello needs.  Good bye to my own little world.

No comments: