Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Quieted Soul

“In solitude, where we are least alone.” –Lord Byron


English Lit taught me a few facts about Lord Byron that undoubtedly cause me to question his ethics, but this quote rests heavily with me. It is when we slow down, set our worries and blundering thoughts aside, that we experience the magnitude of the Holy Spirit. Not until we physically stop ourselves do we become enveloped by the largest Presence there is.

I can remember the first time I meditated—the no distraction, no noise, no nothing type. Our youth group was participating in the 30 Hour Famine, and part of the evening involved a time for meditation. We were encouraged to seek a place of solitude, an area away from everything and everyone. The thirty minute segment was a struggle at first, and I seriously doubted its purpose, but after a five minute mind dump, I was able to focus on Christ. We’d been given topics to reflect, but I found myself focusing on just one thing. For the first time in my life, I experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit on a level I’d never imagined could exist. He surrounded me with Himself, and I sat there, staring into my corner, completely detached from any physical realm holding me.

I’ve had similar experiences since then, though I wish I could say there have been more. I don’t often escape, and I visit the gas station to fuel my car more often than I fill up my soul. Jesse is gone for work this week, and last night I felt lonely. But then, my mind surrendered to searching for the Presence, and I was less alone than I had been in a long while. I sat there, in solitude, praying, listening, stopping. The only thing keeping me from floating away was the tick of the clock.

In these moments, we realize how mighty God really is. He fills the skies, He fills the seas.

No comments: