Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Road Ahead

Something we learn when we are too tiny to reach the counter tops is that we get “in trouble” when we do something bad. Bite your sister, you will be spanked. Talk-back to Mom, you’ll find yourself with a bar of soap in your mouth. Parents discipline their children to keep them from repeating their poor choices (for many of us, it takes more than once to learn).

Consequences don’t stop when you turn eighteen and become an “adult.” There aren’t many forty year-olds sitting on the bathroom counter with a bar of dial in their mouths because they said stupid, but there are plenty of adults suffering the consequences of their poor decisions. Without sharing too much detail, I made a very poor choice about a year ago. Instead of trusting God and seeking after His will for me, I listened to my selfish heart and ran in the opposite direction God desired. Now, ten months later, the consequences continue. What I’ve come to understand is I haven’t learned my lesson yet. I haven’t repeated my mistake, but God knows my heart. He knows there is yet to learn.

I never liked being sent to my room, but I sure am thankful my parents stuck to their guns. Enduring the consequence is part of the healing. I can’t be upset with anyone but myself for what consequences lay ahead. Thank you, Jesus, for your forgiveness and grace. Please open my eyes to what it is you want me to see. Amen.

Psalm 119:33-40

No comments: