Thursday, November 8, 2012

Loved by Hugs

Cuddling is underrated.  There is no such thing as too many hugs or snuggles.  I'd go so far as to say that no one gets enough of them.  I'm reminded of how much I yearn to be cuddled every time Hutch inches his way toward my chest like a tiger in the grass.  His tiny front paws creep slowly, as if I might not notice the twelve pounds of weight moving up my body.  And just when he thinks I'm going to stop him, he swiftly plops down, rolls to his side, and snuggles up under my chin.  This is his evening ritual. Before too long, his little tummy rises at an even pace, and soft snores escape his fuzzy face.  Hutch needs cuddles.

Someone once told me the average person needs ten hugs each day to feel loved.  I sure hope this isn't true because it would mean 85% of the world feels unloved.  But it does have a point.

Why do I feel far from God sometimes? It's not because I can't see him--I know He's there.  It's not because He doesn't listen or answer--I'm astounded by the miraculous ways He answers.  I feel distance from God because He isn't holding me.  Sometimes I just need a hug.  The other night, I felt like a marble among mountains.  I felt tiny, insignificant, and most of all, I felt alone. I needed to be held, and so I prayed.  I asked God to hold me tightly--so tightly that I could feel it.  And you know what happened?  I didn't feel physically hugged, but I was overwhelmingly surrounded by peace and comfort.  I can remember the first time God blessed me with that feeling.

I was no older than ten, and my dog Fritz was injured.  I felt helpless and scared.  I prayed that God would take away my fears and make me feel better. It's amazing what a child's faith will ask for.  Instantaneously, I was covered by a blanket of peace.  I even tried to cry and feel scared, but I couldn't.  God had hugged me with His mighty comfort. Ever since that moment, I have prayed a similar prayer in moments of utter helplessness.  And every time, God has answered with a hug.

We don't have to inch up and sneak a cuddle like dear little Hutch does.  (Still not sure why he thinks I'm going to stop him--I love cuddling with my living stuffed animal).  If we find ourselves alone, and not in a place where we have someone physical to hold and hug, we have something far greater.  God's love is entirely too big for us to understand--we really are marbles among mountains...but I promise you, if you trust Him to hold you, you'll feel like a mountain held in glory.

No comments: