Friday, November 30, 2012

The Waiting Game

Instant gratification is always nice. Okay, let's face it...most of us would prefer it over twiddling our thumbs while we wait.  I'm no exception to the rule--take this antique oil lamp for example.  When we found this treasure in the local Litchfield antique store, I was hyped.  I'm not exactly sure why I find its patent information so intriguing, but I love the fact that I have a treasure from 1898 sitting on my bookshelf.

Upon returning home from Minnesota, it was my first mission (on the same motivational level as the Christmas tree) to purchase wick and parafin oil.  I thought surely living in a historical area like Virginia, I'd have no trouble finding such items.  George Washington LIVED here for heaven's sake!  Unfortunately, I couldn't have been more wrong.  After three different attempts to find my supplies, I was forced to turn to the ever-so faithful internet. Thank you, Amazon.com, for always delivering.

The wick arrived yesterday, and I had barely set my bags down after work last night before I grabbed the lamp to set up my treasure.  I was relieved to find that the mechanisms still worked, and the wick fed right on through the metal teeth as I wound the tiny nob.  It was a good patent!  I placed it back on the shelf, proud of my purchase, and then...I waited again.  The shipping confirmation is sitting in my inbox, and the parafin oil can't come soon enough.  Patience...it's such a lovely thing.  The day I get to burn my oil lamp will be a day of reward for my enduring patience...or at least my attempt at it.  I've only checked the shipping status two times today. That's pretty good, right? :)




No comments: