Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thankful

November is a beautiful month. There's something comforting about Fall, when the trees decide to release their vibrant colors, and children bundle up to wrestle in the piles of orange and red.  Pumpkins line the steps of neighborhood homes, welcoming hungry dinner guests as they approach the autumn wreathed doors. November is a great many things. It welcomes in cooler weather, encourages bountiful layers, and creates the opportunity to break out the fleece blankets from their cedar chests.

But what I so often and quite easily miss is that November is a reminder to be thankful.  As the invitation lists are set and families begin to plan for their Thanksgiving meal, the focus draws toward grocery lists and the stresses of family drama. Depending on their past, the holidays usher in both happy and painful memories, and we forget what the holiday is even about.

I wonder what might happen if we stop to really ponder on our blessings.  What are we truly thankful for...other than the latest and greatest TV we bought or the new pair of shoes we're wearing.  What might happen if instead of listing out the ingredients for Uncle Herman's pecan pie, we list out what we're thankful for.

Would life slow down and gain clarity? Might the world feel more real? Perhaps it might make us feel thankful instead of just be thankful.  So here I go...I'm taking a stab.  For the next week and a half, I am going to make a mental list of what I'm thankful for.  To start it out...

My Grocery Thankful List:
1. God's grace and mercy: Without it, I'd be a squished pumpkin.
2. Family & Friends: Without family and friends, these past three months would have been unbearably lonely.    Their support and love provides hope.
3. Safety:  Watching New Yorkers struggle through the two-hour lines for fuel and groceries makes me thankful for the convenience I experience daily.  I have a roof over my head, food in the cupboards, a reliable car, and heat that keeps me warm.
4. Reliable Job:  No job is secure anymore, but I'm so very thankful I can fall asleep knowing the bills are paid and I have a boss who looks out for me.
5.  Hope:  Jesus' sacrifice provides hope for the end of the day when it can sometimes feel like the world is closing in on you.  The battle is already won.
6.  Crafts: Yes, I'm thankful for them. Not only do they keep my hands busy, but they are a huge stress reliever at the end of a busy work day.  

No comments: