Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Lost Art of Homemade

Supermarkets like Walmart and Target have essentially made it impossible to beat prices when deciding between "buy it" or "make it."  Forget sewing curtains or making a blanket to match--you can buy both for $19.99, and you may even get a free sham in there as well.  I remember a conversation Jesse and I had when we lived in Daytona Beach.  Our income was minimal at best, and our budget was as tight as a captain's knot.  Despite our despise of Walmart, we could only afford to shop at its grocery store.  So, we promised each other that it was okay for now, but the minute our income increased and we were able to afford something else, we would never shop at Walmart again.  I'm happy to report we've stuck to our guns. 

Not only have we said farewell to Walmart (which I can only be grateful to for those strapped years), but I've tried to opt for the "make it" choice even if it means the final cost might be a tad bit more.  I'm no capitalist, but I do hope that my choice to support craft stores and the locally-owned hardware stores keeps them running.  People don't "make it" anymore.  Cakes are formed from boxed ingredients, scarves are plucked from endcaps in the stores. 

I brought two loaves of bread to work on Tuesday--banana walnut bread and pumpkin spice bread.  Since then, I've received personal orders for their parties and dinners.  If I had agreed to them, I'd be buried in bananas and pumpkin puree right now.  People love homemade treats, yet they don't make them.  They grab the pre-packaged angel food cake rather than grabbing two dozen eggs from the dairy section. 

I don't want to be like that.  I grew up with a mom who made just about everything.  Clothes, food, treats, everything.  She showed me how to spread joy to others that way, and I hope to carry it on.  I think I may just have to make a stop at Michaels this evening...

Side note: a friend from work yesterday asked if I could bring in more treats now that it's fall.  I happily complied and told her that once the prices dropped a bit, I'd make a few apple pies and bring them in.  Her response, "You mean with homemade crust and everything?"  These people are hurting for REAL baked goodies!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Good post! Now you know what to do for Christmas gifts. For the past few years, I've made the Pioneer Woman Cinnamon Roll recipe and have given pans of them out as gifts. It takes an afternoon to make them all but each pan is yummy and looks cute with some ribbons and bows on it too. I now get requests! :-) Speaking of Christmas, sorry we'll miss you this year. Since we were there last year, we'll be in Colorado this year. I'd love to get those recipes though!

Jamie Stavenger said...

I hear ya! My mom ALWAYS sewed beautiful halloween costumes for us. I shudder at the thought of picking up a plastic costume at the store (and I never will!). Took a sewing class in High School so I could do the same for my kids, but I don't own a sewing machine- so that plan isn't working out so well :( And receiving a homemade gift always makes me feel so special- keep it up, I'm sure your friends love it!