Friday, September 23, 2011

Old Soul

Age is relevant. That number resembles nothing of you but a record of days since you took your first breath.  It says nothing of your character or standards, yet somehow, it's the first thing people "see" you for.  It was a struggle when adults judged me by my teenage appearance, looking skeptically on to see if I might swipe merchandise off the shelves and make a run for it.  When first emerging from college, I was the youngest employee at my first job, and no one ever allowed me to forget it.  They didn't see me, they saw a 22 year-old.

The ironic thing is I am an old soul.  I always have been, and I fear I always will be.  I used to refer to myself as "mature for my age," but Jesse uses the "old soul" term, and I rather like it.  If I'm an old soul, he's a young soul.  (Yes, Jesse, if you are reading this, you know it to be true!).

I'm not saying I know everything.  Rather, it's quite the opposite.  I'm doing my best to learn something new every day, and at the same time, I'm not allowing my age to limit me.  I am still the youngest person at this second company (go figure), but I think I've accomplished a huge fete:  They don't see a 26 year-old...they see Heather...the old soul.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Happy Friday!

No comments: